I needed to create a BartPE Boot disc, but got the error “Source files wrong version. File version of d:\i386\intdll.dll is 5.1.2600.0 should be 5.1.2600.1045 or higher. You must use Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Server 2003 version of windows”
In order to update the files on a Windows installation CD, you need to go through a process called ‘Slipstreaming’. This is the process of including the Service Pack files into the original disk. I tried following the instructions at WinSuperSite, but ran into a problem as my XP disk is an OEM version from Dell, which already includes their updates. When trying to update the original, I received the error “This ServicePack cannot be integrated into a destination that also has integrated SoftwareUpdates.”. I therefore needed to use the nlite utility instead which miraculously removes the hotfixes and painlessly slipstreams the Service Pack into the original. Oh Happy Days
nlite will also do all the hard work to create a bootable image for you.
I recently restored an old Powerquest Drive Image in order to retrieve some old files. The Drive image was made when I suspected problems with the hard drive, so I was not too surprised to receive the error “EA3905FE: Cluster Not Allocated”. I had previously restored the same disk image (without checking the file system) and received the error “NTLDR is Missing, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart”.
This time, I rebooted the PC with the original Windows installation disk in the CD drive and pressed a key when prompted to boot from CD. Once setup had run I selected the Repair option and booted into the Recovery Console, which is effectively a very basic DOS window with a limited set of commands. I tried to list the contents of drive C by typing DIR at the prompt. However the directory was obviously corrupt as the “Documents and Settings” folder had zero size and there was an error message at the end of the listing.
I had restored the disk image of three partitions. By default, Windows had allocated these to C:, D: and E: despite the fact they were originally located at C:, P: and S:. The CD Drive was therefore allocated to drive F:. I extracted chkdsk from the CD to drive C and repaired the drive (Command sequence: F:, cd i386, expand chkdsk.ex_ c:\, c:, chkdsk /r). All the files now appeared correctly.
While I was there, I also check the status of the other drives I had restored and although not flagged as dirty, they both had problems. (chkdsk d: /r, chkdsk e: /r)
When I rebooted, the installation started up but died with the dreaded BSOD and instantly rebooted. This is probably because I have restored my disk image onto different hardware… So off to create a BartPE Boot CD. More on that here
I just installed a new WordPress based domain for a customer. Everything went tickety-boo with the installation, until I made the final changes. When I moved the domain from its temporary server at test.tempwebhost.com to the live domain at www.example.com, the site stopped working (for me).
Before moving the domain, I had set up the new host and checked that its nameservers were resolving correctly using the command
nslookup mydomain.com newnameserver.com. I had also changed the configuration in WordPress (under Settings / General / WordPress Address and Site Address) before moving the setup to point to the new domain, so that was not the problem.
My prime suspect was DNS, so I checked that the URL was resolving properly using the shorter
nslookup mydomain.com. It was, so my problem was not the TTL or caching by my ISP’s DNS Servers. I tried starting and stoppng the “DNS Client” service in Windows, which normally sorts out DNS issues. I also tried shutting down and rebooting my laptop. Still no joy.
Using BrowserShots, I was able to verify that the site was loading properly for other people. The problem was obviously on my laptop, but what?
It turns out that despite the fact that I had rebooted, stopped and restarted the DNS client and forced a lookup for the domain on the correct nameserver, Windows was resolutely refusing to clear its cache. Cursed OS.
The solution was to force Windows to clear its DNS cache, after which everything worked flawlessly. To do this, type ipconfig /dnsflush at the command prompt.
I have been asked to layout a newsletter for the local civic society as the usual person was too busy. Although I have an uninstalled copy of Microsoft Publisher somewhere, I had never used it before and wanted to find an open source alternative. Enter Scribus and GhostScript. In order to get this to work on Windows 2000, I also needed to download the GDI+ SDK.
Getting started was fairly simple, but in order to run the tutorials at docs.scribus.net I needed to download various ICC profiles and fonts
Simply extract the contents of the two ICC files into the /libs/profiles subdirectory of Scribus and extract the .ttf files from the Luxi fonts into your Fonts folder (Start>Settings>Control Panel>Fonts)